BANNU (MNN); A lieutenant colonel and a sepoy were martyred in a suicide bombing during an intelligence-based operation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Bannu district on Saturday, according to the Inter-Services Public Relations.
In an official statement, ISPR said a security forces convoy was targeted by what it described as “Indian proxy Fitna al Khawarij” while conducting an operation on reports of terrorist presence, including a suicide bomber. The term Fitna al Khawarij is used by the state for militants linked to the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan.
During the operation, security forces intercepted a vehicle-borne suicide bomber from the leading group, preventing what the military termed a major catastrophe aimed at civilians and law enforcement personnel in Bannu city. After an intense exchange of fire, five militants were killed.
However, in a final act of desperation, the attackers rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into one of the security vehicles. As a result, 43-year-old Lt Colonel Shahzada Gul Faraz from Mansehra, described by ISPR as a courageous commander who led from the front, and 28-year-old Sepoy Karamat Shah from Peshawar embraced martyrdom.
The military alleged that the terrorists were operating from Afghan soil and accused them of violating the sanctity of the holy month of Ramazan. ISPR stated that such actions prove the attackers have no connection with Islam and criticized the Afghan Taliban regime for failing to prevent the use of its territory for attacks inside Pakistan.
The statement emphasized that Pakistan would not show restraint and that operations would continue against those responsible, regardless of their location. It added that the counterterrorism drive under the Azm-i-Istehkam vision, approved by the Federal Apex Committee on the National Action Plan, would persist at full pace to eliminate foreign-sponsored terrorism.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif strongly condemned the attack in separate statements and expressed sorrow over the martyrdoms.
President Zardari termed the martyrs’ sacrifice a national asset and assured that operations against Fitna al Khawarij would continue with full force and without discrimination. He reiterated that there would be no compromise on public safety.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said the attack during Ramazan demonstrated that terrorists have no religion. He praised the security forces for swiftly eliminating five militants and preventing large-scale destruction, reaffirming the government’s resolve to eradicate terrorism under the Azm-i-Istehkam framework.
Pakistan has seen a rise in terrorist incidents, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan, since the TTP ended its ceasefire with the government in 2022. Bannu has witnessed repeated security incidents in recent months, prompting targeted operations.
Islamabad has repeatedly raised concerns about the presence of TTP militants in Afghanistan and has urged Kabul to prevent cross-border attacks. Earlier this week, Pakistan lodged a formal protest with the Afghan authorities over the alleged use of Afghan territory in a deadly attack in Bajaur that martyred 11 soldiers. A similar protest was issued in December following a major attack on a military camp in North Waziristan.

































































