GENEVA (MNN); The latest round of U.S.-mediated negotiations between Russian and Ukrainian envoys concluded in Geneva on Wednesday without any major breakthrough, as the fourth anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine approaches next week.
The talks, held in Switzerland, marked the third round of direct discussions facilitated by the United States this year, following earlier meetings in Abu Dhabi. While previous sessions were described as constructive, they failed to produce significant progress, and expectations for the Geneva round were similarly modest.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy described the negotiations as “not easy” after briefly speaking with his delegation from Kyiv. He accused Russia of attempting to prolong the talks while continuing its military offensive — a charge he and European leaders have made repeatedly.
Despite persistent political differences, Zelenskyy said some limited progress was achieved on military matters, including discussions on how a potential ceasefire could be monitored. He added that the United States would play a role in overseeing any future truce.
The head of the Russian delegation, presidential adviser Vladimir Medinsky, characterized the two-day discussions as “difficult but businesslike.” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said it was “too early” to assess the outcome, noting that President Vladimir Putin had been kept informed of developments. Both sides agreed to hold another round of talks.
Zelenskyy described the military discussions as constructive and said monitoring of any ceasefire would involve American participation. Meanwhile, U.S. President Donald Trump’s envoy, Steve Witkoff, stated on social media that Washington’s peace efforts had led to “meaningful progress,” without providing details.
Fighting continues along the approximately 1,250-kilometer front line. Russia continues daily strikes on Ukrainian civilian areas. Shortly after the first day of talks ended, Russian drone attacks reportedly killed a woman and injured two children in the southern city of Zaporizhzhia. Overnight, Ukrainian officials said Russia launched a ballistic missile and 126 long-range drones.
Zelenskyy also confirmed that Ukrainian and U.S. representatives met with officials from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, and Switzerland, stressing that European participation in peace efforts is “indispensable.”
Despite diplomatic engagement, the two sides remain far apart. Zelenskyy has proposed a ceasefire and a direct meeting with Putin, but Moscow insists on a comprehensive agreement before agreeing to a truce.
Putin has maintained his original objectives since launching the invasion on February 24, 2022, including preventing Ukraine from joining NATO, reducing the size of its military, and securing control over occupied eastern territories. Zelenskyy, however, has firmly rejected any territorial concessions to Russia.



































































