LAHORE (MNN); Pakistan Hockey Federation President Tariq Hussain Bugti resigned on Thursday, blaming the Pakistan Sports Board for alleged mismanagement of funds meant for international tournaments, particularly the FIH Pro League.
Speaking at a press conference in Lahore, Bugti said he had already submitted his resignation to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. He alleged that although funds for the Pro League were released to the sports board, they were not handled properly, leading to logistical complications during team tours of Argentina and Australia.
Bugti stated that tour schedules had been shared in advance and that financial authority rested with the PSB. He noted that Pakistan had returned to the Pro League after seven years but struggled to fulfil commitments due to financial constraints. He revealed that he personally paid 3,720 dollars to settle outstanding hotel dues in Argentina.
Calling for an independent inquiry, Bugti criticised the committee formed by the PSB, saying it acted as both judge and jury. He also alleged internal issues within the team, claiming that the captain pressured players by showing them messages from influential personalities, after which the federation imposed a two-year ban on Ammad Shakeel Butt.
Bugti said Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had allocated Rs250 million for hockey, which was transferred to the PSB. Despite this, he claimed the federation faced serious logistical problems abroad. He stressed that resignation alone was not enough and accountability must be ensured as Pakistan’s reputation had suffered.
Meanwhile, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who also serves as chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, met national hockey players. In a statement posted on the PCB’s X account, players briefed him about unpleasant incidents during the Pro League, and Naqvi expressed regret over their treatment.
He assured full support to the players and directed arrangements for tickets, kits and hotel accommodation for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers in Egypt. He also instructed that the training camp begin on Friday and that all preparations be completed immediately. The PCB was directed to ensure prompt medical treatment for injured players.
Naqvi emphasised that Pakistan’s honour would not be compromised under any circumstances. According to the PCB statement, he distributed cheques of Rs1 million each to the players as a reward for finishing as runners-up in national tournaments. The players thanked him for his encouragement.
Earlier, Naqvi had stated on social media that he would not assume the PHF presidency but would continue supporting players until the crisis is resolved.
Bugti’s resignation came after a public dispute between the PHF and PSB over alleged mismanagement during the team’s participation in the second leg of the Pro League in Hobart, Australia. The national side returned to Lahore after defeats against Germany and Australia, ending the campaign without a win.
While the PHF maintained that logistical and financial matters were the PSB’s responsibility under Senate committee directives, a PSB official claimed adequate funds had been provided and questioned the federation’s handling of arrangements.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif took notice of the issue and ordered an immediate inquiry, while Federal Minister Rana Sanaullah formed a committee to investigate. Both sides welcomed the probe, though observers stressed the need for a neutral and transparent



































































